Updated 10/31/2017

Gregory L. Ely, County ClerkWelcome to

The Hardy County Clerk’s Office.

Gregory L. Ely, County Clerk

  • Phone: 304-530-0250
  • Fax: 304-530-0251
  • 204 Washington St. Rm 111
  • Moorefield WV 26836
                              Office Hours:                   9 am -- 4 pm  Monday thru Friday 
  • email: hdyclerk@court.state.wv.us

The Clerks Office is where documents are filed; Deed Books, Deed of Trust Books, Wills and associated estate documents, Plat’s, Liens, Release’s, County Commission Minutes, and several other documents. The Clerks Office is also responsible for the preparing & tracking of the County Budget, Probating Estates, Payroll, paying bills and also conducting Elections and Voter Registration.  There is a link below for some information on qualifying to do an Estate, they are in pdf.

You will find links to the Auditor, Secretary of State & WV Code below.

Our online records link: Read the instructions under the Disclaimer.  Click the view image as pdf box.(if using Chrome Browser, no box will be there) CLICK THE HELP BUTTON and read the info.  Also play around with the "adv" button, it lets you filter your search.

 Some documents are not available for viewing, particularly because of soc sec numbers, if you do find a ss# please let us know so we can redact it, we try and do this as soon as possible after the documents come in.


Air Quality  click here



   The Electronic Tax Map site is for Tax Map Use only, do not rely on any lines or corners as actual; your deeded property lines and Plats may be/are Recorded in the County Clerks Office.        

Links / Forms:

Electronic Tax Map Site                                      WVHDF- Disclosure Form


DAILY-$5.00     MONTHLY- $50.00 

6 MONTHS- $150.00     1 YEAR- $200.00

There will be no charge for the number of pages printed.

(NOTE: we do NOT re-scan documents after the initial recording )


  Sales Listing Form  

Surveyor Books lookup                                

Land Books (tax books now back to 1945 )     TAX TICKET LOOKUP

 WV Floodplain Tool   


Please make an appointment to do an Estate or a Marriage License.   THANK YOU..  Gregg Ely

Estate Help

Fillable Appraisement Form         

                    Information for Application for a Marriage License     

            NEW AGE LAWS ARE IN EFFECT AS OF JUNE 08, 2023

         (summary- if you are under 16 years old, you may not apply for a marriage application)


To register, change or check your registration, You can do it HERE  


                      WHO CAN OBTAIN VITAL RECORDS

Access to West Virginia's vital records, both those held by the Vital Registration Office and those held by county clerks offices, is restricted by West Virginia Code and accompanying Rules.  Both Code and Rules designate those who have a tangible interest and, thus, right to the copies of the records and makes allowances for others who can demonstrate the need for a record to prove a personal or property right.  Restricted access applies to only those records of births for births less than 100 years old and marriage and death records less than 50 years old.  That is, birth records, other than information that would be deemed medical or is in some manner prohibited for release, older than 100 years are "open access" records.  Death and marriage records older than 50 years are "open access" records.

Who May Obtain Birth Records Less Than 100 Years Old?

  1. The registrant (the person named on the birth certificate)
  2. A member of the registrant's immediate family
  3. The registrant's legal guardian
  4. An authorized representative of the registrant or another who is authorized to obtain a certified copy.

Who May Obtain Death Records Less Than 50 Years Old?

In the case of a death record, any surviving relative who has a direct or tangible interest in the record, or his or her authorized representative.  This would normally extend to the immediate family.  The informant (the person who provided personal information for the completion of the death certificate) and any party that contributed personal or medical information under signature for the completion of the death certificate would be considered to have a direct and tangible interest.

Who May Obtain Marriage Records Less Than 50 Years Old?

In the case of marriage, the parties married, their adult children, adult grandchildren and additional generations or their authorized representatives.

Who Else May Have Access To Restricted Vital Records Who Are Not Specifically Stipulated?

ANY person or entity who can PROVE that they have a direct and tangible interest in the content of the record AND that the information contained in the record is necessary for the determination of a personal or property right.

Who Is Included In The Term "Immediate Family"?

The term "immediate family" includes: a mother or father; a son or daughter; the brother or sister; a husband or wife; a mother in law or father in law; a son in law or daughter in law; grandparents, great grandparents, and additional generations of same; grandchildren, great grandchildren, and additional generations of same; a stepmother or stepfather; and a stepchild.

Who Is Included In The Term "Authorized Representative"?

The term "authorized representative" includes an attorney, physician, funeral director, or other designated agent acting on behalf of the registrant or his or her immediate family or his or her guardian.


By law (WV Code §48 4A 1 et seq.), all proceedings and documents relating to an adoption that took place in West Virginia or for a birth that occurred in West Virgina are "closed" or "sealed" by the court that ordered the adoption.  Records relating to the adoption or the pre-adoption birth records may only be "opened" or "unsealed" at the order of a court of competent jurisdiction in the county in which the adoption occurred.

                   State Sites:

** State Vitals Search Births, Deaths & Marriages

WV State Auditor's Office

WV Secretary of State Office

WV Code

WV Floodplain Tool


SEARCH TIPS for Online Records

in the Name field, just enter the LAST name, (some of the older data that was converted did not differentiate husbands and wives separately)

When you get your results, you can click on date or grantor or grantee to sort; just give it a minute to do it

Remember,  less is more results,  if it is spelled wrong on the document it is indexed as received;  ie… Ellifitz – Ellifritz  &  Eli  - Ely.  Use EL to pull eli and Ely among others,  ellif will pull ellifitz and ellifritz.

Brief overview of how to use the search system